The Export User Data plugin for Movable Type allows administrators to export all of the information collected about their site's users into a comma-separated format (.csv) file.
- Config Assistant 2.x
To install this plugin follow the instructions found here:
System administrators will find an "Export user data" Page Action on the system-level Users screen. Click this to get started!
On the Filter screen you can home-in on the users you want, then click the Select Fields button to continue:
- Select the user's status. "Enabled" and "disabled" are clear options. "Pending" users are those who have registered with Movable Type, but who have not confirmed their registration.
- Select the user's role. This list allows multiple selections, and is most useful for specifically accessing your users, who likely have either the Commenter or Contributor role. Alternatively, by selecting Author, Editor, and Moderator you can generate a list of your site's administrative team, for example.
- Select the blog(s) to export from. If your Movable Type install runs multiple domains, being able to export user data for specific blogs is important.
- By default, only users who have used MT authentication will be exported, because those are the users with the most useful data. (Custom fields, for example, can only be filled-in by MT-authenticated users.) If you want to export the data from users who have authenticated through other methods such as TypePad or Facebook, in addition to those authenticated through MT, check this checkbox.
The Filter screen continues, where you can filter based on author Custom Fields. Select one or more custom fields to filter on, then select how these fields should be used:
- Users with matching custom field data for the selected fields should be exported. That is, if a user profile contains a value for the selected field, that user will be exported.
- Users with matching custom field data for the selected fields should not be exported. That is, if a user profile contains a value for the selected field, that user will not be exported.
On the Fields screen you will find a table of author profile fields, including any custom fields that may be defined. Place checkmarks next to the fields that you want to include in your export data. Click and drag fields to re-arrange their order. Note that the User ID field will always be exported, and can not be reordered. Click the Export button to continue; depending upon the size of the dataset, this may take a few moments.
If you are using the Download Genie plugin, and if statistics recording is enabled within Download Genie, you have some additional options: the total number of files downloaded and the downloaded file name, date, and time can also be exported. Note that exporting the downloaded file name, date and time can result in a lot of additional data being exported.
Lastly, on the Export screen you're presented with the result! The file name, location, and size are reported here, as is a link to download the data. If you've enabled the Display Export Results option, you also see your exported data here.
The resulting comma-separated file can be imported and analyzed with Numbers or Excel or other spreadsheet application!
Notice that the options chosen to create the exported data is saved, so the next time you need to export your preferences are re-used!
Movable Type versions: 4.3